This depends on the age, size, condition, and rideability of the animal.
These are guidelines, depending on the gender of the animal and whether castration is required:
Ponies/Donkeys: R1,000 to R1,500
Horses: R2,000 – R4,000 – This includes deworming, Flu vac, microchip and tetanus.
Once you’ve decided which equine you’d like to adopt, one of our pre-placement officers will visit your stable or home. This ensures that your property is a suitable match for the animal concerned. We take into account:
• Other animals in the family.
• Children’s ages
• Level of experience to adopt
• No equine will be adopted out to a property where there is a stallion
• Size of property
• You must be over 18 to adopt.
• Your property must be fully enclosed.
• There must be adequate shelter
• You must be able to afford a private vet and have transport to take the animal to the vet.